Cockroaches are strong carriers of bacteria that causes diseases and other ill-effects among human beings. Their presence in houses shouldn’t be condoned as a safety measure.
The reddish brown insect that succeeds to gross out every single one of us with its mere unpleasant appearance actually feels much more homely on planet earth that we humans do.
With their existence dated back to the prehistoric era,about 70million years ago.Cockroaches are believed to be the only creature who would survive a nuclear explosion.
The association between humans and cockroaches is quite remarkable .These rapidly adapting insect have followed humans as pets from the time when our ancestors lived in caves to now when we have moved to skyscrapers.
There cannot be a single home in the world which has not been shared with cockroaches. in fact,most of you must be facing these disgusting creatures on a daily basis,seeing them crawl on your sink,running down the pipe hole,working over a pile of garbage or vesting peacefully in the corners of your refrigerator. the fact is cockroaches come out in the daylight only when the place is too crowded for them or when they are ill.
Not only they bring you special embarrassment and fear but also silently contribute to the deteriorating health of your family. Cockroaches by themselves do not cause any disease but they are vectors or carriers for millions of bacteria and infections agents that can lead to an array of disease from diarrhea to food poisoning.
1. Food contamination: cockroaches can virtually live by eating anything.Apart from the food we eat,they also feed on dead plants,animals,faecal matter,glue,soap,paper, leather and even strands of fallen hairs while crawling around at nights,they contaminate open food by defecating on it,leaving behind hair and dead skin and depositing empty egg shells in it.
2. Inoculation of disease-causing bacteria: While feeding cockroaches regurgitate their own saliva and digestive fluids from their mouth to inoculate your food with germs or bacterial residing in their gut.A study found that the bacterium pseudomonas acruginosa can multiply extensively in gut of cockroaches.It can cause several diseases like urinary tract infection,digestine problems and sepsis.
3. Cockroach bites: Some species of cockroaches have been found to bite humans.These cases are rare but if your home is heavily infested with these insects then you should be careful because they can nibble on fingernails,toes and soft parts of the skin causing wounds.
4. Invasion of body parts: Cockroaches can not only invade your home but also your body parts.There are several cases of cockroaches entering the ear and nose while sleeping.Small cockroaches can readily enter body orifices if you are in deep sleep.
5. food poisoning: In an epidemic outbreak of food poisoning, it was found that the incidence of new cases dropped abruptly after cockroach infestation was eliminated.The insect is also a home for the bacterium salmonella which can cause typhoid and food poisoning.
6. Allergies: cockroaches can cause allergies, their saliva secretion and body parts contain hundreds of allergens that can trigger an undesirable reaction.You may suffer from skin rashes,sneezing and watery eyes.
7. Asthma: Cockroaches can be the worst enemies of asthmatic people The incidence of asthma attack may increase if your house is infected with cockroaches.Cockroach allergens can cause severe complication and can even be life – threatening. And people who are not asthmatic may develop cockroach asthma by inhaling cockroach allergens.
Original Writer: Pascenta