Creativity is one of the most mysterious human qualities. Seemingly effortless for a rare few, it can be elusive for the majority. While the most extensive training in the world can’t turn an average Joe into Paul McCartney, these simple techniques can help edge the creative muse closer.
1. Limit your options.
2. Don’t wait for inspiration.
3. Focus more on the problem than the solution.
4. Increase your “distance” from the creative project.
5. Do an intense physical workout.
6. Use the wrong hand to do an everyday task.
7. Write the end of the story first.
8. Treat stray thoughts like gold.
9. Know less, guess more.
10. Look where you’re not going.
11. Laugh out loud.
12. Do something mindful.
13. …or mindless.